What is Cyber-Security?
Cyber-security is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. Some call it information technology security or electronic information security.
U.S. Government warns people about rapidly escalating cyber-attacks; the government itself spends $13M annually for cyber security. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) suggests continuous and real-time tracking of all electronic resources.
The concept of cyber security can be separated into categories:
- Network Security: Aims to secure computers from network intruders such as targeted attackers or opportunistic malware.
- Application Security: Making sure that software or devices are free of threats.
- Information Security: Focuses on keeping the data privacy and integrity when storing and transferring.
- Operational Security: Aim of this field of activity is to handle and protect processes and users’ decisions. Permissions that users have when accessing a network and the storage of shared data fall under this umbrella.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Progression: Cyberattacks and breaches can happen to any business, of any size, and they have the power to do serious damage to the company. This field of activity defines how an organization responds to cyber-attacks or any other type of data loss caused by malware.
- End-User Education: Focuses on the hardest part of protecting users: the users themselves. Anyone can accidentally introduce a virus to an otherwise secure system by failing to follow good security practices. Teaching users to delete suspicious email attachments, not plug in unidentified USB drives, and various other important lessons is vital for the security of any organization.
Cyber security is an emerging discipline that focuses on providing the best protection for electronic systems. We benefited from end-to-end encryption technologies when developing 11Sight applications to keep your data privacy at the highest level. At 11Sight, we educate our employees in fields of network, application, information and operational security.
If you want to keep on top of the ways to use video calls for your business in a secure way, check out our other resources. We are working with various forms of technologies to keep your business one step forward. Contact us to share your opinions!